[Tribal-drug-courts] question about smudging for Wellness Court

Eric Mehnert emehnert at hm-law.us
Fri Feb 21 09:19:29 CST 2020

Good Morning Kit-

At Penobscot (North Central Maine, similar climate) we begin each Wellness Court with a smudge and a non-denominational prayer.  We also often start with a reading from one of the seven Grandfather teachings.  We don’t consider a smudge, smoking and therefore don’t consider it a violation of the no smoking rules in the public courthouse.  However, we are on Tribal land and that may make a significant difference.

The data coming out of the BIA’s Reduction in Recidivism Initiative shows that culture and community are the number one protective factor for Tribal Members in recovery.  At Penobscot we do sweats, sweetgrass picking, drum making, dreamcatcher making, etc. with the participants.  When they commence from the program we do a drum ceremony for the participant along with a commencement meal.  If you ever want to bat around ideas, I can put you in touch with our cultural advisors.  Also, if you have any ideas, we are always looking for new means of reaching our participants.

It sounds great what you are trying to do.  Good luck with it all!!

Kind Regards,

Hon. Eric M. Mehnert

Chief Judge

Penobscot Nation Tribal Court