[Tribal-drug-courts] question about smudging for Wellness Court

Kit Van Stelle Kit.Vanstelle at wisc.edu
Fri Feb 21 09:05:05 CST 2020

Good Morning All,
I'm hoping to get this question out to all on the Wellness Court
listserv to get your input.

I provide support to the Ashland Wisconsin /Wellness & Recovery Court/
that serves primarily Ojibwe individuals in northern WI.  We have
enhanced the long-running county drug court to create a Wellness Court
hybrid by incorporating the Wellness Court 10 Key Components and
traditional teachings.

A question for all of you out there....do any of you smudge as a
group/team at the beginning of court hearings?  If so, how do you handle
the non-smoking rules for public buildings?  We live in a climate where
going outside isn't always practical.  I'm aware that some smudge with
water instead.....do any of you do that?  We are trying to determine if
this is feasible or if there are alternatives to help get everyone
focused and in the right mindset for the hearing discussions.  We have a
participant do an opening for the hearings to start in a good way, but
are looking to enhance that.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Kit

--
Kit R. Van Stelle
KVSEvaluationPartners at gmail.com
Qualifications & Experience available via www.LinkedIn.com

Emerita Distinguished Researcher at the
University of WI School of Medicine and Public Health