[Tribal-drug-courts] question about smudging for Wellness Court

Jill Tompkins Jill.Tompkins at millelacsband.com
Fri Feb 21 15:29:04 CST 2020

Hi Kit,

At Penobscot Nation Healing to Wellness Court, there is smudging and a prayer said at the beginning of the status hearings. We share similar ancestors with the Ojibwe. We’ve also opened with a reading of the Seven Values or something similar. Individuals who are uncomfortable with the spiritual aspect can step out until that part’s over.  We did have the smoke alarm in our community center go off twice so that is something to consider. It’s not really smoking (which I think applies to cigarettes, cigars, etc.)  I wonder if an argument could be made that it’s an infringement on the right to religious exercise to ban the smudging completely (it’s not the least infringing approach). Maybe your County attorney could advise you on that.

Hope this helps.

Jill E. Tompkins (Penobscot)
Court Staff Attorney
Court of Central Jurisdiction