[Tribal-drug-courts] post ajudication vs. pre ajudication

Eric Mehnert emehnert at hm-law.us
Fri Nov 16 13:44:13 CST 2018

Hi Adrian-

                We are post-adjudication at Penobscot and have found it to work very well.  We have allowed participants to enter the program voluntarily by petitioning the Court and then a Court Order of Admission.  That Order gives the Court the power to hold voluntary participants in contempt and impose the same sanctions as our post-adjudication participants.

                I have helped the Hopi Tribe re-establish their Wellness Court, and they started pre-adjudication but have now converted to post-adjudication.

                In both Penobscot and Hopi we have found that post-adjudication keeps the participants committed to the program.  One of the challenges for individuals in the throes of addiction is that they think they can manipulate and game the system.  Once they are post-adjudication there is no gaming or manipulation, individuals know the consequences of their actions (We use a deferred disposition contract telling individuals that they will get a dismissal if they complete the program and what the outer limits of sentencing are if they do not complete the program).

                Let me know if you ever want to chat.  I can be reached at 207.735.7127.

Kind Regards

Hon. Eric M. Mehnert

Chief Judge

Penobscot Nation Tribal Court