[Tribal-drug-courts] post ajudication vs. pre ajudication

Ruben A. Baca Ruben.Baca at gric.nsn.us
Wed Nov 14 10:02:06 CST 2018

Good Morning Adrian,

Originally the program was voluntary / pre adjudication.  Apparently, it's been mentioned that early in the life of the program,  the prosecution office at the time wasn't filling petitions when participants did not comply with the program. I imagine that made it difficult to hold participants accountable for the actions or lack thereof.  Currently, we work with participants post adjudication. I feel that working with participants who admit to the allegations in the petitions is a first step. Most of the time it takes a while for a parent to admit or realize that they are responsible for the situation they are in. Having the court order the recommendations from social services lays out a path that needs to be followed. When I meet with parents for an intake, we'll go over the court order and I explain how the program can help them comply with the order. A con, is that in all of our cases, the children are removed. Pre adjudication leaves the possibility that children can remain in the home while parents work on sobriety, is this a pro or con?  In any situation removing children is a traumatic event,  so if removal can be avoided than that is a good thing. Hope this helps, please feel free to contact me any time you have questions.

Respectfully,

Ruben A. Baca.
Family Healing to Wellness Court Coordinator
Gila River Indian Community Court
[OFFICAL-GRIC-LOGO copy.png]
721 West Seed Farm Road
P.O. Box 368