[Tribal-drug-courts] New Publication: Overview of Tribal Healing to Wellness Courts

Lauren van Schilfgaarde Lauren at tlpi.org
Wed Sep 17 12:51:55 CDT 2014

View this email in your browser<*|ARCHIVE|*>

<http://www.wellnesscourts.org>[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2098ca541b563fa96b8822b3f/images/BJA4Webebc90d.jpg]<http://www.wellnesscourts.org/><http://www.wellnesscourts.org>

New Publication:
Overview of Tribal Healing to Wellness Courts
Overview of Tribal Healing to Wellness Courts, 2nd ed. <http://www.wellnesscourts.org/files/THWC%20Overview%20Final%20-%20Sept%20%202014.pdf> (2014) is an update to our 2002 publication, Healing to Wellness Courts: A Preliminary Overview of Tribal Drug Courts<http://wellness.kauffmaninc.com/files/Pub_THWC%20-%20Overview1999.pdf>.
This publication offers a simple, lay-friendly overview of the tribal drug court model, including the Tribal 10 Key Components and the various iterations that Healing to Wellness Courts can take throughout Indian country. This publications explores some of the unique opportunities and challenges faced in implementing and operating a Healing to Wellness Court. Common challenges include adapting the drug court concept to include alcohol dependency and abuse treatment, accounting for the unique jurisdictional factors present in Indian country, and ensuring sustainability. Common opportunities include addressing the specific cultural needs of the tribal nation, engaging in judicial innovation, and providing an alternative to incarceration.
You can find Overview of Tribal Healing to Wellness Courts, 2nd ed<http://www.wellnesscourts.org/files/THWC%20Overview%20Final%20-%20Sept%20%202014.pdf>. freely available for download, along with all of our Healing to Wellness Court publications, on our Tribal Healing to Wellness Court Publication Series<http://www.wellnesscourts.org/HWC_Publication_Series.cfm> webpage.
Upcoming Trainings:

·         National American Indian Court Judges Association Conference<http://www.naicja.org/events/2014conference> ~ Oct. 8-10, 2014 ~ Tulsa, OK

·         26th Annual Multi-Jurisdictional Law Enforcement Conference<https://www.ncjtc.org/CONF/Multi-J/Pages/Multi-J_Conference.aspx> ~ Nov. 5-7, 2014 ~ Green Bay, WI

·         OVC Indian Nations Conference<http://www.ovcinc.org/> ~ Dec. 11-13, 2014 ~ Agua Caliente Indian Reservation

Copyright © 2014 Tribal Law and Policy Institute, All rights reserved.
www.WellnessCourts.org <http://www.wellnesscourts.org>

Our mailing address is:
8235 Santa Monica Blvd. Ste. 211
West Hollywood, CA 90046